Columbia University is proud to announce that 5 Columbia undergraduates had been named Goldwater Scholars this year. The Goldwater Scholarship represents the preeminent undergraduate award withinside the fields of arithmetic, the herbal sciences, and engineering.
From an anticipated pool of over 5,000 college sophomores and juniors, 1242 herbal technology, engineering, and arithmetic college students had been nominated with the aid of using 433 instructional establishments to compete for the 2022 Goldwater scholarships. Of college students who reported, one hundred seventy-five of the Scholars are men, 234 are women, and certainly, all intend to reap a Ph.D. as their maximum diploma objective.
Through the Goldwater Scholarship, the subsequent Columbia awardees have acquired investment for their respective fields of study:
- Arjun Kudinoor CC’23, a physics, and arithmetic important from Colorado Springs, Colorado. Arjuna’s studies lie inside Experimental High Energy Particle Physics and Mathematical Gauge Theory;
- Ethan Feng CC’23, chemistry, and philosophy important, who focuses his studies on biophysical chemistry and nanoscience;
- Steven Wang CC’23, a biology important from Shanghai, China, researches most cancers bioinformatics and most cancers bacterial therapy;
- Sarah Xi CC’23, from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, chemistry essential with a unique attention to Women’s and Gender studies, focuses her studies on chemical biology;
- Chujun ‘Julia’ Zhao SEAS’23, a biomedical engineering important and laptop technology minor, from Shanghai, China, focuses her studies on multi-omics computational genomics studies on most cancers.
The Goldwater Foundation is a federally endowed organization installed with the aid of using Public Law 99-661 on November 14, 1986. The Scholarship Program honoring Senator Barry Goldwater became designed to foster and inspire extraordinary college students to pursue studies careers withinside the fields of the herbal sciences, engineering, and arithmetic. The 2022 awards carry the variety of scholarships offered in view that 1989 with the aid of using the Goldwater Foundation to 9870.
Goldwater Scholarships gives as many as 450 scholarships every yr to fantastically certified growing juniors and seniors withinside the sciences, arithmetic, and engineering who intend to pursue careers in those fields.
A software of the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation, every scholarship covers eligible costs for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, as much as a most of $7,500 annually. Junior-stage scholarship recipients are eligible for most of the years of scholarship support, and senior-stage scholarship recipients are eligible for most of the twelve months of scholarship support.
A candidate for nomination as a Goldwater Scholar has to:
- Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a diploma at an approved 2- or 4-yr organization of better schooling for the duration of the 2021-2022 educational yr (Because of COVID-19, a few college students won’t be enrolled full-time for the duration of the 2021-2022 educational yr. Schools can also additionally nominate those college students as a part of the 2022 Goldwater opposition. For the functions of the 2022 review, the idea may be made that every college student may be enrolled full-time for the duration of the 2022-2023 educational year);
2. Intend to pursue a studies profession in herbal science, arithmetic, or engineering (The herbal sciences, engineering, and arithmetic fields and sub-fields utilized by the Goldwater Foundation to decide eligibility are the ones utilized by the National Science Foundation for its Graduate Research Fellowship Program. These include Computer, Chemistry and Information Sciences and Engineering, Geosciences, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Astronomy and Physics, and Psychology. Please note, even as studies in the medicinal drug isn’t supported by the National Science Foundation, college students interested in pursuing careers in medicinal drug or veterinary medicinal drug are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship if studies are a vital a part of the candidate’s professional goals;
3. Have a university grade factor common of a minimum of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale of 3; and
4. Be a U.S. citizen from the 50 states or the District of Columbia; the U.S. countrywide for the one’s college students nominated through establishments in Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands; or an everlasting resident.
The Goldwater Foundation expects that maximum students will pursue superior degrees. Students who plan to have a look at medicinal drugs are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship best in the event that they plan a studies profession instead of a profession as a clinical physician in personal practice.
The Goldwater seeks applicants who display dedication and the ability to make an extensive contribution to their field. Applicants have to exhibit how their educational software and academic plans will be put together for their professional goals.
Columbia University can also additionally nominate a complete of 5 eligible undergraduates for attention every yr. Students in Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, and the School of General Studies who may be contemporary sophomores or juniors at the time of software are eligible. The inner campus opposition locations college students into attention for nomination. Students won’t practice without delay for this fellowship while not having first been nominated.
Columbia College students practice for nomination by clicking “Start Your Application” and finishing all software substances earlier than the inner cut-off date. Letters of advice have to be submitted without delay to [email protected] through the inner cut-off date as well.
Visit Its official website Click Here